Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday City Ride

I went for a little city ride today; the sun was occasionally peeking out and the thermometer said 27 degrees when I started.  It sure did not feel like 27 degrees, but I stuck it out for a little over an hour anyway.

I followed a route I have come up with this winter, which takes about an hour and, aside from County Farm Park, is completely different from the usual summer trails.  Usually by the end of the typical riding season I am starting to feel a little burned out on the regular city loop.  So my new route gets me out in some new areas, and on cold and/or windy winter days, one hour is about enough for me.

As usual County Farm Park was first, as that is an easy way to get in a bit of trail since my house backs up to it.  Most of the paths were lumpy ice with some packed snow.  With all the rain and warm temperatures we have had in the past couple weeks the 6-8" of snow has been reduced to an inch or so of ice in most areas.  Surprisingly, it was not very slippery and I was able to ride everywhere without a problem.  A walker even asked as I rode by how slick it was.  Maybe the fat tires at 18 psi hook up better than shoes?

I saw this Jeep a few weeks ago, but did not have my camera with me.  I have checked back a few times and it was never there, until today.  It is a Jeep FC-170, which was made from 1957 through 1965.  I have never seen one, or even heard of this vehicle before.  This one has been perfectly restored.  I like oddball vehicles, so this will give me something new to "research" on the internet.


You have seen these railroad tracks on my blog before, on my New Year's Eve ride.  This is the end of the line, behind the U of M Herbarium.  Riding down the ties would be a little more comfy on my 5" travel full suspension bike, but it does not get to come out and play on salty roads.  Plus, the ol' Karate Monkey is a lot of fun to ride in many other, more typical riding conditions.

The sun came out of winter hiding later in the ride.  I rode up the highest hill I could find in Brown Park to get a little closer to my long, lost friend.  Off in the distance is the water tower in County Farm Park, near Washtenaw and Manchester.  While I was up there a kid went skate boarding by on the pathway below.  At first I thought, "what kind of crazy kid would be out skating on a day like today?"  Then I looked at myself.  Skate on, kid!
Not too much to say here.  This is a trail in Brown Park, and the combination of sun, snow, dry grass, and bare trees struck me as a very nice view.  Enjoy.
I spend some quality time in Brown Park today.  There are some boardwalks in the woods, and after spending yesterday at Ray's I was ready to ride on some wood.  Only these had the added bonus of being snow covered.  Most of the skinnies at Ray's are nice and close to the floor, and this boardwalk was no different.  It provided a little challenge with no real consequence if I rode off.

From Brown Park it's just a quick ride home, which was fine as the cold was starting to creep in by then.  Another nice ride in the books, and my brain again feels a little refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment